When trying to understand early Stafford County, Virginia, land and parish records, it’s helpful to understand local parish name changes over time. Here’s a chronology:
Circa 1653-1680: Potomac Parish
Circa 1664-1680: Upper Parish (north) and Lower Parish (south)
Circa 1680-1702: Stafford Parish
1702-1776: St. Paul’s Parish (north)
1702-1785: Overwharton Parish (south)
1731: Hamilton Parish formed from land that transferred from Stafford Co to Prince William Co when Prince William Co formed
1776: Brunswick Parish formed in King George Co from Hanover Parish in 1732. A part was added to Stafford Co, when its boundary with King George was altered in 1776.
Dr. Edward Maddox bequeathed about 500 acres to his local Stafford Parish minister (Rev. Waugh) in 1694. This land was along the Passapatanzy Creek, just south of Marlborough Town. The acreage would form the Overwharton Parish glebe.